10.6.08

Does anyone actually like their job?

Back in the day when life was simpler and I was in college (ok, life wasn't that much simpler, but simpler none the less), my best friend would tell me he hated his job. My response, which is always somewhat satirical, logical, and concise, was "So quit". A year or so later, I got my first (career worthy) job and I realize that I hate my job as well.

Now don't get me wrong, it's a good job. It pays decent, great benefits, good first job, making some great connections, and I'll have no problems staying nor leaving, but the truth is, I rather be somewhere else. And by somewhere else I mean home, in bed, sleeping.

This was not the job I wanted, and though by no means is it a bad job, it isn't my dream job. My dream job was to write- and here I am blogging in the evening... so it goes to show you that went nowhere. I just don't think I've found a person who LOVES their job. How many people go after their real dream jobs? Isn't there always something standing in the way? How many people even know what they want as a dream job? Seems like everyone is on a "stepping stone" to get to the next level- some are just stupid enough to settle for their stepping stone. Or am I completely wrong? Is there some brilliant way of achieving that dream job through hard work and dedication and I'm just young and stupid and don't see this. I know it's possible for me, sometime in my future, but how many of these hateful jobs must I go through to actually like what I do?

Do you like your job?

2 comments:

Bobby said...

I didn't like my first job either. So I quit. When I was in school last year I thought people were foolish to do what I ended up doing, but here I am. And a friend who just started work said he wouldn't have quit...but he's still fresh and naive. Heh.

Mystery Girl said...

He's still there and getting promoted so maybe not so naive...