11.6.08

I'm too good for expectations

I had an interesting conversation with my sister today that brought up a lot of interesting topics about getting married and expectations. She, my sister, who is 6 years older than me, is getting married in the summer. She's been with the guy for maybe 3 or so years, but has known him longer. He's real nice and stuff. I just realized that has nothing to do with anything I'm about to write... Anyways it was not about her and her marriage, it was about me and mine (future).

I've been with the same person for 8 years. We were high school sweethearts, college sweethearts- yes roll your eyes cuz your jealous but he is the love of my life. But... and there is always a but... sometimes I get a bit freaked that I'm expected to be a housewife. I know HE does not expect this from me, he knows me- I'm known for my brain, I have a guy like humor, I don't do dishes, I'm lazy, I'm one of the most low maintenance girls I know, I cook on occasion, I plan to make more money than him... he knows- and more importantly gets- this package. However, convincing his parents that this package is acceptable is a completely different story.

We were born in another country, with customs much more stricter than what is the american culture. We both grew up here, so mind you we are americanized. But our parents lived their life elsewhere, and they think with those types of ideologies. So I think to myself- in my country, women are wives first, get married starting at 16, are prized for their beauty and obedience... you get the drift. Not all women are like that. My mom is the boss in my house, and all the women in my family are educated. But I feel like it's a bit different with me...

See in my culture, men feed the family. Boys are prized for their genitals (ok- not exactly, what I meant was biology) and somehow they are superhuman and their careers are important enough for them to slack in other things like fairness to wife and stuff. Again, not in my family. My father is pretty liberal, he's raised 3 girls and empowered us to become all we can be. Hence the reason why my education is really important to me. I worked hard for it, and paid for it, and in one way or another, have always been a nerd. I'm the brain in my family, have a pretty high profile job, and among most people have accomplished a lot for someone in my age.

My BF is one of these steller people too. He's successful, on the right path, smart as hell (smarter than me, can you believe it?), and has an awesome personality. However, he's the oldest and only son, and everytime I've been near his parents, I can't help but think they expect that once we get married, that I will be at home while he works and cookin' dinner by the time he gets home... This ain't gonna happen, see. I live alone now and don't even make dinner for myself. I don't clean unless I want to. I'm the boss of me and that's that. Put someone else's expectations in there and who knows what will happen.

My BF loves his family, and eventually wants to live with them. I wonder, what will they think of me when they find out I'm not the stay at home and be quiet kinda girl? Will they think less of me? Or think that I'm a bad wife or daughter-in-law because to me career is just as important for progression as his is? Sometimes I wonder if they know what they're getting into...

No comments: